Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup Simply7 Quinoa Chips Sea Salt, finely crumbled
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6-8 Tbsp water Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 6-7 cups thinly sliced apples, your choice of red or green
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large egg white
Make the crust.
1. Mix flour, Quinoa Chips, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse.
2. Add butter a little at a time pulsing several times after each handful. Pulse until the butter is “cut” and the size of large peas.
3. Add 1/4 cup water and pulse again. Then add more water a tablespoon at a time pulsing once or twice in between until the mixture starts to hold together.
4. Remove the mixture from the food processor and gather into a mound. Then divide that mound into two.
5. Use your hands to knead each mound.
6. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour and then wrap each in plastic wrap and place into the fridge for one hour or up to 2 days.
Pre-bake the crust.
1. Remove one of the crust for the pie and let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to roll out.
2. Roll out the dough and place into pie dish.
3. Line the pie crust with aluminum foil and fill the crust with pie weights (dry ingredient like rice or sugar).
4. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to 75 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and let the crust cool completely before filling.
Start the filling and crust braids.
1. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices and set aside.
2. Add the apples to a large bowl and add the sugar mixture and toss to coat.
3. Take the extra pie crust and roll out. Cut braids in long, 1 inch wide strips.
Finish the pie.
1. Once the pie crust is completely cooled, fill with apple mixture and dot with butter.
2. Start making your braid by overlapping the pie crust strips.
3. Beat egg white until foamy and brush over the crust.
4. Sprinkle the crust with sugar.
5. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Try This Recipe With Sea Salt Quinoa Chips
Life is Full of Flavor. Share It.
Have a simply delicious recipe that goes perfect with our snacks?
Send us your recipe below for the chance to be featured on this page!